Tuesday, January 19, 2016

I shared the Gospel today


I got to share the Gospel today and it was so beautiful. There's almost no greater feeling than being able to explain God's love and sacrifice to another human being and see them beginning to comprehend what Christ did for them.
Today was no exception. Except today as I shared the Gospel, the responsibility and joy of sharing it hit me in a way I have never experienced.
I was not sharing it with a neighbor or someone I had recently met, although I desire to do so! No- today I was sharing it with my son. I got to tell MY child about MY God. What an overwhelming joy it was to be able to tell this precious, tender little heart about God and the Gospel and see his innocent and curious two year old mind taking it all in.
My husband started doing catechisms as part of our daily family devotions at the beginning of the year. He found one that was great for Petey's age and we covered the questions, "who made you?" and "what else did God make?" This week is "why did God make everything?" And the answer is "for His own glory." Now we don't expect he will understand the theology behind it or even the definitions of a lot of these words, we just want to plant seeds of faith in his heart.
So today I was reviewing the questions with him, and for the second day in a row when I asked him "why did God make everything?" he answered "he was naunny (naughty)." Apparently he is used to being asked, "why did you do that?" and his answer usually ends up being "I was naughty." I explained to Him that God was never naughty and that He wants us to bring glory to Him and that's why He made us. I added that we can't bring glory to Him ourselves so we need Him and his salvation in our hearts to ever be able to bring Him glory. I thought we would go back to discussing the muffin he was nibbling on, or another typical 2 year old conversation.

A moment later he asked, "Mommy, where is God?" We continued with a beautiful conversation of where God is and he asked me many questions and said he wanted to see God so I shared with him how God can see us and everyone at the same time. He asked if God would come down from heaven so I explained to him how Jesus was God's Son and he did come down a long time ago (I reminded him about the Christmas story) and He came to save His people from their sins and died for us and now He lives back up with God. He would interject saying he wanted to go see God and I explained how one day, someday, we don't know when we WILL get to see Him and if we have believed and accepted Him we will get to live with Him. I told Him, now with tears streaming down my face because it was almost like he was "getting it," that God loves him sooo much. He assured me he loves God too.
He asked if God has toys.
He went to get one of his most prized possessions (his school bus) and said he would like to give it to God.
He asked if I have ever told buddy (my close friend that we just moved away from in Oklahoma) about God. He was very glad to hear buddy knew God too.
When daddy woke up from his nap he told him that God and Jesus were up high and that he wanted to see them someday.
We had an errand to run and he asked us if he could call God. So we told him that God always hears us and that he could just talk and pray and God would listen.  We kept hearing him in the backseat saying, "God?" "God?" So Peter explained that the way He talks to us is through the Bible. He started talking to God about his fishy.

He asked if we could sing a song about God so we picked a few. He liked "My God is so BIG so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God can not do" the best and asked for us to repeat that.

Later when we were face timing friends, he told them he wanted to see Jesus.

Do I think he understands it all, and that we won't review the same questions over and over...of course not. But I caught a glimpse of the most innocent childlike faith and it took me a long time to recover from being able to share the most beautiful story and truth in the history of EVER with my baby. Our longing and dream is for this darling little boy and for all of our children to believe this message and go farther in bringing Him glory than we ever have. So to see the little seeds of faith being planted is the most beautiful mothering moment I have ever experienced.
I look forward to sharing it again...probably tomorrow over cereal or the next day while we are driving around- but it is a story I will never grow tired of sharing with my son.

1 comment:

  1. Awe! That is soooo sweet! And I am very honored that he thought of me (Buddy)to tell about God! Thanks Peaty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...